Wednesday 4 June 2008

Stars turn out for Empire Film Awards

The annual Empire Film Awards took place in London last night and a host of A-list movie stars turned up for the event.
The Best Film award went to Paul Greengrass' 'The Bourne Ultimatum' and the 'United 93' director was there on the night with his leading man, Matt Damon.
Accepting the award, Damon said: "I want to say thank you to the readers of Empire because I don't get many awards and I don't get nominated for a lot of awards but when I do I tend to lose out to more younger, talented, better-looking guys like James McAvoy."
He added: "I'd also like to salute the one-time loser Paul Greengrass over there, my friend who got out-directed by the other guys in the category he was nominated for."
The Best Director award went to David Yates for 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'.
Damon lost out on the Best Actor gong to James McAvoy who won for his role in 'Atonement' and McAvoy had this to say about the film magazine: "I used to get it all the time as a kid, I still get it now if I'm being honest... this year's been amazing for intelligent film, for good film."
He added: "What Empire has done is to tell people what to see and well done this year for getting people to see the good stuff."
McAvoy's co-star Keira Knightley received the Best Actress award but due to filming commitments was not present at the ceremony.
The Empire Icon Award went to Ewan McGregor and describing the title of the award the magazine said: "...it's in no way a Lifetime Achievement Award with a different name, so he doesn't think that he's about to peg it!"
Accepting the award, McGregor said: "I've been so lucky to work with a great many talented and passionate actors and directors and occasionally producers and so I'd like to thank you all."
'Control's' Sam Riley received the Best Newcomer award for his performance as Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis and the film also picked up the award for Best Soundtrack.
'Hot Fuzz' was voted as Best Comedy and the Best Thriller award went to 'American Gangster'.
The Empire Inspiration Award went to 'Pan's Labyrinth' director Guillermo del Toro.
Check out our Empire Film Awards Gallery here.